Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Large Glass



I really enjopyed "The Large Glass" by Marcel Duchamp. There was such a back story and so much of his life and thought went into it and I really wish all art was that completely thought out and intense. The top of this piece fascinates me. The three oddly shaped squares inside the cloud like object, shatter lines streaking across the the frame. It all works together to form something gloomy and drastic while also being beautiful. The intense effort, thought, and work that went into this piece baffles me. I wish I could create pieces that had this much information behind them and required this much thought. I wish someone would recreate this in real life. It would be a really interesting thing to see in person how it all worked and flowed. The fact that it shattered and he had to piece it back together makes it that more interesting and kind of goes with the theme and title of the work, in that things can fall apart at any time but if you want, you can fix it.

No comments: